[Mailman-Users] Mail to list returned

Homeport homeport at usnaweb.org
Wed Feb 6 18:04:40 CET 2002

I found my own answer in the documentation:

"Create a test list
Create a list named test. To do so, run the program $prefix/bin/newlist.
You will be prompted for the name of the list, as well as the email
address of the person running the list. Put your own email address as the
list administrator's address.
Running newlist will generate a list of aliases that must be added to the
system. If you are running Sendmail, you may add the lines output directly
to the file /etc/aliases. You may need to run the command newaliases (all
as root). Now the mailing address for your list as well as its
administrative addresses will be set up. If you are not running Sendmail,
consult your MTA's documentation for information on adding aliases."

The list of aliases that is created is only displayed to the screen. How
hard would it be to have the newlist command place a file with the alias
information in the directory created under /var/mailman/lists?

Just a thought.

Thanks,

--Ray

Ray Trygstad