[Mailman-Users] Crons don't run (Mailman & Htdig)

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Mon Feb 4 16:58:54 CET 2002

At 15:39 04/02/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>On Today, -0000, Richard Barrett wrote:
>
> > If searching of your lists is working from the list TOC page (the form
> > added by the Mailman-htdig integration patch) how were the search indexes
> > built if cron did not run nightly_htdig script. Did you run it
> > nightly_htdig by hand from the command line or what.
>
>Yes, I run it from the command line.
>
> > what do you get out when you enter the following command (as root)?
> >
> >      crontab -u mailman -l
>
>I get listing of croantab.in file.
>

> > does the crontab contain a line that looks like this?
> >
> >      19 2 * * * /usr/bin/python -S /home/mailman/cron/nightly_htdig
> >

>Yet, I just changed the time to 30 10 ..
>
> > are the zipped versions of the list archives being updated by the following
> > crontab entry?
> >
> >      27 3 * * * /usr/bin/python -S /home/mailman/cron/nightly_gzip
>
>In Defaults.py I have GZIP_ARCHIVE_TXT_FILES = 0, but now I see that in
>crontab.in it is stated that it should be defined in mm_cfg.py.
>
>Is this a problem?
>
>Now, I just checked and see that the crontab file which was installed
>today at 10AM, run at 10:30AM as specified in it.
>
>However, only public archives is re-indexed, while private is not.
>
>But, it's one step closer :-)

In fact think that we are all the way there. There is no real distinction
between private and public archives when it comes to the way the script
nightly_htdig works to build the htdig indexes, although the distinction is
made when it comes to subsequently accessing those search indexes via the
list's search form.

The mailman-htdig integration builds and maintains separate htdig index
files for each list. These are in the directory
$prefix/archives/private/<listname>/htdig for each list.

When nightly_htdig runs it checks, for each list in turn, the time of the
most recent post to the list. If that post was after the time it last ran
rundig to construct the list's search index, it reruns rundig. Otherwise it
doesn't and the modification date/time on the index files will not change.
This is to avoid rebuilding indexes when there has not been changes in the
indexed material since the last indexing operation.

If you want to check what I have said then run nightly_htdig by hand with
the -v flag. This will cause the script to output a line for each file
saying it is skipping the list because there are no recent posts or it is
htdig'ing the list archive if there are recent posts. If you run the script
twice in quick succession, it usually doesn't do any htdig'ing the second
time around.

If  you still think there is something wrong with all this then let me know