[Mailman-Users] Re: UPGRADING continued...

Barry A. Warsaw barry at zope.com
Mon Dec 30 03:35:46 CET 2002

    JW> I can go to /usr/local/mailman/bin and type "withlist -l -r
    JW> fix_url listname" - but I don't think I need that... Or maybe?
    JW> Well... I have no idea. What does it mean to share same
    JW> URL-space?

All it means is that http://yourhost/mailman/ can be used as the base
ur for both MM2.0 and MM2.1 lists.  E.g.

is a MM2.0 list and

is a MM2.1 list.

    JW> Wow! Looks nice :) I have no idea what does it do...  Anyway -
    JW> I put it in my httpd.conf file... and my Apache didn't want to
    JW> start anymore. Of course I changed $MM21 with
    JW> /usr/local/mailman. Should I also change "$1" and "$2" with
    JW> something? What is going on here??

No, $1 and $2 are substitution variables.  I don't have time to go
into this in detail, but everything's documented in the Apache docs.

    | OK... I'm just wondering why is it done that way?
    | Can't I simply change a line in my httpd.conf:
    | Alias /pipermail/ "/var/spool/mailman/archives/public/"
    | with:
    | Alias /pipermail/ "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public/"

Yes, if you don't need to have your MM2.0 and MM2.1 lists live
side-by-side.  If you're just moving all your lists to MM2.1, you
don't need all that cruft.

    JW> Anyone still with me? :-)
    JW> Anyone can put some light on it?

I'm not sure if I am. ;)