[Mailman-Users] How many is too many?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Dec 27 23:14:14 CET 2002

For an interactive list, it really depends on the subject and the number
of folks who actually post.  I've found that once a list grows close to
about a thousand that it's Signal to Noise ratio drops significantly and
you begin to loose a lot of folks who mainly contribute Signal (leaving
behind more Noise...).

If you are contemplating a large interactive list, I suggest that you
bring up a News Server and let folks read/contribute in that manner.
Mailman makes the transition from Mailing List to News List quite easy
as it provides a built-in gateway for  Mail to News (and vis-versa).

Good Luck - Jon Carnes