[Mailman-Users] Newbie question

Rob Jolliffe robert at creativemfg.ca
Mon Dec 23 21:39:38 CET 2002

Hi everyone,

I have a bandwidth question.  My searches of the archives and google turned
up very little.  I did see the one FAQ entry that seemed to deal with this -
but I thought I should ask for clairification.

Here is my question.  [Perhaps it's even more an SMTP question than a mailman
question, if so please point me to the right list or newsgroup.]

I have a list with 1000 members on Yahoo groups (yech!).  I want to move this
list on to my own server.  My SMTP server is going to be my ISP's server (I
will be double checking with them) not my own.  When I send a 10k message to
the 1000 users,  will my Mailman send a single message to the SMTP server
with 1000 addresses attached (or 100 or 50 as per my configuration) or will
it send 1 message per domain with the addresses attached?

If anyone is running such a list (about 40 to 60 messages per day,  maybe 5k
average size,  1000 users) what bandwidth do you find is sufficient.  Just
doing the straight math results in a requirement of 1 Mb per minute (174kB
per second) upload speed to deliver messages within a 5 minute window.  This
is pretty high bandwidth imho.  Does a mailing list really require this kind
of thruput?

Thanks very much

-Rob

Robert Jolliffe
President, Creative Manufacturing Solutions
Technology Partner, Dynac Inc.
www.creativemfg.ca  www.dynactools.ca

tel (519)585-7524