[Mailman-Users] sendmail error - User unknown

Clay Stuckey guru at claystuckey.com
Wed Dec 18 15:35:22 CET 2002

When I send an email to a new list on a new install, I get the following error:

The original message was received at Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:32:11 -0500
from apache at localhost

<admin at chacity.org>
    (reason: 550 5.1.1 <admin at chacity.org>... User unknown)
    (expanded from: <admin at chacity.org>)

... while talking to localhost.localdomain.:
>>> DATA
<<< 550 5.1.1 <admin at chacity.org>... User unknown
550 5.1.1 <admin at chacity.org>... User unknown
<<< 503 5.0.0 Need RCPT (recipient)

I installed using --with-cgi-gid=apache --with-mail-gid=mail. I have Redhat 8.0, apache, sendmail. I am not using the RPM version. I installed this with the .tar.gz version.
I can create lists. I can see the webpage. When I add a user to the list, the user gets an email. The only problem is when an email is sent to the server. It is as iff sendmail doesn't know that this acct is for mailman. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Clay Stuckey