[Mailman-Users] lists not found after upgrade

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Dec 16 18:45:41 CET 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 11:45, Jason Bradley Nance wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>   I'm attempting to upgrade from 2.0.8 to 2.0.13.  I run the configure
> script with the same values as I did in 2.0.8 (all default and
> specifying mail and cgi gids), run make, make update, make install, but
> my lists are not found.
>
> At the end of the make install, I see this:
>
> Upgrading from version 0x0 to 0x2000df0
> no lists == nothing to do, exiting
>
> I tried running the update script in /home/mailman/bin, but it just
> exits with no output.  list_lists doesn't show any lists, and check_db
> says that /home/mailman/lists/<listname>/config.db[.list] are missing.
>
> Has there been a structural change that wasn't documented?
> /var/mailman/lists seems to be where the lists live, yet there is a
> /home/mailman/lists that is empty.  Does 2.0.13 use /var/mailman at all?
>
> Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sounds like you didn't use the same --prefix argument to ./configure .
The install location is completely customizable as with most GNU
programs.  With mailman 2.0.8, were you using a distribution-supplied
version (ie Red Hat)?  If so, you should probably do one of two things:
	1)  Upgrade to the distribution-supplied package of mailman 2.0.13
-or-
	2)  Set the --prefix=/var/mailman when you ./configure the .tar.gz
version of mailman that you're running

I can't vouch that 2) will work without knowing for sure how your
mailman 2.0.8 was set up, however.  The Linux distributor may have made
other file location changes that won't take well to being overwritten.

--Jeremy