[Mailman-Users] Passwords of members

Steve Rifkin steve410 at cs.jhu.edu
Sat Dec 14 20:24:35 CET 2002

Now that we can see the plain-text passwords of members using dumpdb on the
config.db file, how can we see the specific list admin password for a given
list?  I could see plaintext passwords for the users, but for what looked like
the admin, I saw something very different than what the password is set to.

A (bogus) example of this:  Here are what looks like the admin lines from the
config.db dump:

 'owner': ['testlistadmin at cs.jhu.edu'],
    'password': '=\x2b\x4abH\xgg3\x3n\x5e\x4e\xh_\xb6\xb2\x8n\xqp',
    'passwords': {user1 at jhu.edu': 'sdjlkl',
                     'user2 at jhu.edu': 'nasdat',
                     'user3 at jhu.edu': 'kljlkd',
                     'user4 at jhu.edu': 'jsdafk',
},

So, the user passwords are pretty clear, but the owner's password is not listed
in plain text as to what the password is.

How do we get that password?  If I had that info, I could check to see why we
are able to log into our mm site with the site-wide password or the user
(subscriber) passwords, but *not* the list admin's password.  (for mm 2.0.13)

Thanks!

Steve
steve410 at cs.jhu.edu