[Mailman-Users] HELP! Getting different Import Error: python2.2/lib-dynload/_socket.so: bad ELF flags value: 256

Steve Rifkin steve410 at cs.jhu.edu
Fri Dec 13 16:44:24 CET 2002

For that specific problem, we re-installed the previous version (2.1) of python,
and we do not get errors.  Installing python 2.2 yields us the error.  It's
pretty consistant in terms of when we put on 2.2, we get the error, but when we
put back 2.1, we're fine.  So, we're at 2.1 and most things are working...
except for the list admin passwd authentication problem that I have submitted in
a different e-mail.

Steve

> Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 23:34:00 -0500
> To: Steve Rifkin <steve410 at cs.jhu.edu>
> Cc: mailman-users at python.org
> Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] HELP!  Getting different Import Error:
python2.2/lib-dynload/_socket.so: bad ELF flags value: 256
> From: barry at python.org (Barry A. Warsaw)

>     SR> Anyone familiar with the error (we're running python 2.2.2 and
>     SR> mailman 2.08):
>
>     SR> admin(7162): ImportError: ld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/python:
>     SR> fatal: /usr/local/lib/python2.2/lib-dynload/_socket.so: bad
>     SR> ELF flags value: 256
>
> This can only mean that your Python installation is messed up.
>
> -Barry

Steve Rifkin - JHU CS Dept Sr. Unix Systems Administrator
               Technical Director
steve410 at cs.jhu.edu
410-516-6281