[Mailman-Users] wishlist addition

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 12 21:25:02 CET 2002

At 23:20 09/12/2002, Jeff Stern wrote:
>hi, i didn´t see this on http://mailman.sourceforge.net/todo.html but it
>would be nice if, with mailman´s archives pages (whether organized by
>thread, subject, or author, or date) the user were not limited to
>searching by month only.
>
>for instance, on the mailman-based mailing list, ¨gimp-user¨, for the
>gnome ¨gimp¨ project (http://www.gimp.org), you can go to that mailing
>list´s archives, at http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-user/ . but
>if you want to do a search for the word, ´startup´ (such as discussions on
>the gimp startup options), you have to painstakingly click through
>searches on **1 month at a time**. (i would use the htdig search facility
>they added, but it is broken as of today).

I've taken a quick look at the gimp lists and they appear to be using the
Mailman-Htdig integration patches (#444879 and #444884) posted on sourceforge.

They also appear to have an installation or setup problem as the per list
search indexes do not appear to be being rebuilt regularly with the
relevant cron script and the htsearch cgi program is not able to find the
per list search config file and indexes.

Were these problems not present you would be able to search the archives as
you wish, courtesy of Htdig.

On the assumption that they have not noticed, I've emailed the list owner
to advise them of the problems.