[Mailman-Users] compress full mbox files?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Dec 10 15:27:49 CET 2002

Back on November 18, 2001, Jackie Meese asked about gzipping the full
mbox files in the mailman archive system:
http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/msg05253.htm
There was no answer that I could see.

Is there an answer?  The uncompressed file is many megabytes on active
lists.  This is not good either for disk space on the server, or for
people who want to download it.

I just want to do the usual thing of rotating it monthly or whatever.
It's obviously no problem to do the compression and rotation, leaving an
empty writable file behind for new messages.  The mailman-specific
problem is the html to access the archive.  Is editing the template in
Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py (and all the existing lists :() the only way?

I'm still using mailman 2.0.13.  Will 2.1 offer any changes in this
regard?  (I looked around on the MM2.1 page, but didn't see anything
conclusive one way or the other.)

Thanks,
karl at freefriends.org