[Mailman-Users] Mailman archives and email addresses

John Summerfield summer at computerdatasafe.com.au
Sun Dec 1 00:30:26 CET 2002

It doesn't do a complete job of obscuring email addresses in archived email.

1. Some email clients use the users' email address as the base of the
message-id.

2. Mailmain doesn't obscure email addresses in the body, so if this message
were archived, then mailman-archival-error at computerdatasafe.com.au would
appear in the archive and be accessible to so-called harvesters of email
addresses.

I would like the ability to perform a one-way transformation on _all_ email
addresses.

I fear that obfuscation techniques such as
"mailman-archival-error at nospam.computerdatasafe.com.au" and
"mailman-archival-error at computerdatasafe dot com dot au" are becoming
well-known enough that writers of the harvesting software will code round it.
However, removing email addresses from lines such as
"MAILER-DAEMON at Computerdatasafe.com.au said:" is safe, and as a writer to
numerous lists, my intended audience is those subscribed to the list; if
archival copies are less complete that's fine by me. If I want someone to
write direct to me, I will spell out the email address.

Many people go to extraordinary lengths to reduce spam; the more mailing-list
software does to help the better for all of is.