[Mailman-Users] Mailman stopped working after changing IP address

Walter Stafford stafford at bbri.org
Fri Aug 30 21:20:27 CEST 2002

Hi Tom.

  It turned out that I had unwittingly deleted from the hosts file the line
127.0.0.1    my_server.bbri.org   localhost

Once I added that back, all the emails that were being held were
processed correctly by crond and sendmail. But I had had multiple
problems: before that I couldn't get the posts to appear or the
subscription requests to show up until  I reset some permissions to
what they should be in the Mailman directories. So this was a two
step process. I had also impetuously reinstalled Mailman as root
accidently and that caused problems too until I re-installed it as
mailman and then reset the owner/group correctly...

Your clues were quite helpful; they got me on the right track. Thanks.

Walter

At 10:49 -0500 8/30/02, Tom Whiting wrote:
>On Friday 30 August 2002 10:36 am, Walter Stafford wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>       After I changed the ip address of my linux box, mailman stopped
>>  working. (Our ISP assigned us a new IP number range). I have changed the
>>  hosts file and rerun the m4 sendmail.mc config script. But somewhere I have
>>  missed something. I created a  new test list and tried to subscribe to it
>>  through the web interface but I get no response from it. There are a
>>
>>  lot of files piling up in /home/mailman/qfiles
>>
>>  None of the lists (I have 4) will forward messages or allow new
>>  subscriptions.   Can anyone help??
>>
>>  Walter Stafford
>
>There's a few reasons that this could be happening (none relating to Mailman
>that I know of)
>A> Your DNS records haven't bounced back to you yet (in some cases this can
>take up to 3d to filter through the 'net).
>Personally, I use EveryDNS, with a perl monitor every hour or so. They manage
>to get the ip back and registered usually in < an hour and in some cases MUCH
>less.
>
>B> Your OLD I.P. address is hardcoded into your MTA somewhere (I believe PARTS
>of qmail do this (depending on your distro)).
>
>C> You somehow have your old I.P. address set in your O.S. some other way.
>___________________________________
>TJW: Head tech, Dreamless Realms
>Mud: http://dreamless.wolfstream.net
>Snippets http://dreamless.wolfstream.net/