[Mailman-Users] changing default welcome message

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.com
Thu Aug 29 18:28:57 CEST 2002

* Christopher Adams <chris.a.adams at state.or.us> [20020829 18:51]: wrote:
> What is the "web UI" config options? Are you speaking of the web interface?

Yes, the latter.

> If so, all that allows me to do is eliminate sending a welcome message to
> users that the owner subscribes from the web interface and/or the text that
> the owner appends to the default.

Correct, I should have clarified myself. I am sorry I did not.

> That doesn't give the option of actually changing or elminating the default
> welcome message altogether. Maybe I am missing something.

I grep-ed thro the mailman directory and found the message locations:

sudo find /usr/local/mailman -type f -exec grep -li 'Welcome' {} \; | less

Then I took a look and saw that the welcome message is a template with
vars to be substituted. There must be another script that does the
subsitituions. I guess that script is the "add_member" script, but I am
not aware how you could manipulate either the welcome message template
or the add_member script to work on a per list basis.

The welcome message template  is in:

$prefix/templates/en/subscribeack.txt

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington   <wash at wananchi.com>  "The box said 'Requires
Wananchi Online Ltd.  www.wananchi.com      Windows 95, NT, or better,'

If you want to know what god thinks of money, just look at the people
he gave it to.
		-- Dorthy Parker