[Mailman-Users] web server user conflict

Michael Geary listmail at gearyweb.com
Mon Aug 26 22:32:59 CEST 2002

Hi folks,

I sense that this may be a FAQ, but I can't find a clear source of
information about it.

I am running mailman with Postfix and Apache. Everything seems to be
okay. I have created a user and group called "mailman" and changed the
ownership of everything in the main mailman director
(/usr/local/mailman) to mailman:mailman.

However, whenever I use the web-based admin tools, the ownership of
files:

-rw-rw----  1 mailman      mailman  4094 Aug 26 14:29 config.db
-rw-rw----  1 mailman      mailman  4094 Aug 26 14:29 config.db.last

changes to:

-rw-rw----  1 www      mailman  4094 Aug 26 14:29 config.db
-rw-rw----  1 www      mailman  4094 Aug 26 14:29 config.db.last

and I then get permission errors from the cron job "qrunner" until I
change permissions back to mailman:mailman.

I suspect that something needed to be done with the -gid or -uid
configure options, but the INSTALL notes weren't clear enough for me.

Could anyone help? Thanks,

michael geary