[Mailman-Users] Can't create lists from web interface

Greg Westin greg at gregwestin.com
Thu Aug 22 16:38:23 CEST 2002

I resolved the issue of e-mail not being sent to list admins by starting
mailmanctl, which I didn't know about.  In trying to create a test list to
make sure everything is working now, though, I discovered that the web
interface for creating new lists doesn't work.  I created a list earlier
from the command line, which worked, but it looks like something called by
the web interface is running as the cgi user, rather than mailman, and so
can't create archives.  Perhaps my permissions are incorrect?  Again,
check_perms doesn't report anything wrong, but I had a permissions problem
before that it didn't report, too.

I would think the problem is that somehow these scripts should be running
as mailman rather than under the cgi gid, or they won't create list files
with owner and group mailman.

Please help if you have any ideas.

Sincerely,

Greg Westin
greg at gregwestin.com

---

Bug in Mailman version 2.1b3

We're sorry, we hit a bug!
If you would like to help us identify the problem, please email a copy of
this page to the webmaster for this site with a description of what
happened. Thanks!

Traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/mailman/scripts/driver", line 82, in run_main
    main()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/create.py", line 55, in main
    process_request(doc, cgidata)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/create.py", line 176, in
process_request
    mlist.Create(listname, owner, pw, langs)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 422, in Create
    self.InitVars(name, admin, crypted_password)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 351, in InitVars
    baseclass.InitVars(self)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py", line 92, in
InitVars
    os.mkdir(self.archive_dir()+'.mbox', 02775)
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/test.mbox'

Python information:
Variable Value
sys.version 2.2.1 (#1, Jul 9 2002, 12:10:44) [GCC 2.95.2 19991024 (release)]
sys.executable /usr/local/bin/python
sys.prefix /usr/local
sys.exec_prefix /usr/local
sys.path /usr/local
sys.platform darwin

Environment variables:
Variable Value
HTTP_ACCEPT  image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg,
application/vnd.ms-excel, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint,
application/msword, */*
CONTENT_TYPE  application/x-www-form-urlencoded
HTTP_REFERER  http://lists.gregwestin.com/mailman/create
SERVER_SOFTWARE  Apache/1.3.26 (Darwin) PHP/4.2.2
PYTHONPATH  /usr/local/mailman
SCRIPT_FILENAME  /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/create
SERVER_ADMIN  greg at gregwestin.com
SCRIPT_NAME  /mailman/create
SERVER_SIGNATURE  Apache/1.3.26 Server at lists.gregwestin.com Port 80
REQUEST_METHOD  POST
HTTP_HOST  lists.gregwestin.com
SERVER_PROTOCOL  HTTP/1.1
QUERY_STRING
HTTP_CACHE_CONTROL  no-cache
REQUEST_URI  /mailman/create
CONTENT_LENGTH  144
HTTP_USER_AGENT  Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
HTTP_CONNECTION  Keep-Alive
SERVER_NAME  lists.gregwestin.com
REMOTE_ADDR  155.41.10.1
REMOTE_PORT  18800
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE  en-us
__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING  0x46:0:0
SERVER_PORT  80
GATEWAY_INTERFACE  CGI/1.1
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING  gzip, deflate
SERVER_ADDR  140.247.133.60
DOCUMENT_ROOT  /Library/WebServer/Documents