[Mailman-Users] NAT translation problems?

irwin irwin at taranto.com
Wed Aug 21 20:33:22 CEST 2002

On Thursday 22 August 2002 11:10 am, Drew Krause wrote:
> Hello, a few subscribers with city and county government email addresses
> are complaining that our list mail is not getting to them. A peek at our
> mail logs confirms this. One of their system administrators noted that
> their server makes use of 'NAT translation', a concept new to me.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? (Is it indeed a mailman issue?) Are
> there any settings or workarounds to solve this?
>
> Any help appreciated!

Don't flame me for this perhaps over simplification.  NAT, Network Address
Translation, is a technique whereby a single IP is distributed for use of
multiple nodes on a network.   Commonly used on networks for putting nodes
behind a firewall (IP Masquerading).

I don't know why they should have problems receiving email, I use NAT
and don't have any problems.   Perhaps their addresses need a node name as
part of the address.  In other words,  "someone at node.domain.com".

Irwin