[Mailman-Users] archiving

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Aug 21 18:00:11 CEST 2002

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 11:23:35 -0400 (EDT)
Greg Westin <greg at gregwestin.com> wrote:

> With all this discussion of archiving, I have to ask: What does it say
> about the developers' confidence in Mailman that this list isn't
> archived by Mailman, but by an external service?

The Mailman lists are archived at python.org using Pipermail, Mailman's
internal archiver.  They are also archived at various other external
sites which use various other tools.  Don't confuse the two.

> This is like when I was having trouble setting up Mailman on Mac OS X,
> and then discovered that Apple doesn't use Macs for its mail servers,
> it uses Sun computers.

As does Microsoft FWIW -- they just hide it better.

Also note that in Apple's case the Sun box in question is bigger than
any of the boxes that Apple currently makes and sells.

> It seems to me that if this list is archived externally, maybe I, too,
> should look into that as an option.

The internal archiver in mailman 2.1 is considerably more capable than
the archiver in Mailman 2.0.  It does not and likely never will match
the capability of external tools like MHonArc.

If there's something you want from your archiver that Pipermail can't
offer, then investigate using an external archiver.  Otherwise look at
the archiver in v2.1.

I use an external archiver for my lists (see the FAQ for details) as I
want a variety of extra feature supports that Pipermail cannot offer (eg
replies from the web).  Other's find Pipermail's feature set quite
acceptable, especially in v2.1.

--
J C Lawrence