[Mailman-Users] Moving mailman to new server and upgrading mailman

Adam Brons adam at odu.edu
Fri Aug 16 15:48:43 CEST 2002

Anna,

Thanks for the link it helped.

To help anyone else that may have to problem.  Here's the steps I took
some are borrowed from the URL below:

1) tar-balled the mailman 1.x on server 'A' once it was "offline".
2) copied/extracted it to server 'B'
3) re-configured mailman 1.x using the new $PREFIX on server 'B'
   - make;make install (only do this if you have not modified the mailman
     code, otherwise you MIGHT overwrite some of your changes
   - this gets all the Mailman/Cgi/* using the write path and fixes
     Default.py, and the various paths.py
4) use withlist in a shell script to update the archive paths in each
   config.db file under lists/
   - if you follow the link below it links to examples of shell scripts
     you can use
5) NOW go to your mailman 2.x directory and do a configure with the
   $PREFIX the same as mailman 1.x you copied onto server 'B'.
   - make; make install
   - make install "should" update without a problem -- mine did

And there you have...  The one step under
http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/msg11052.html which I
disagreed with is recreating all the lists and then copying the config.db
back over top of the new list.  I'm not sure what was gained by that.  I
skipped that step and everything is working fine.  From what I've seen
looking through the code mailman does NOT as of 2.0.13 keep a central
database of lists, so as I said I don't see what recreating all the lists
buys you.

Hope this helps

--
Adam Brons           Systems Engineer / Unix Support Group
                     Office of Computing and Communications Services

DSA ID 7680A17E: 7E88 F9EC 0799 3260 49DA  DB77 0327 D32B 7680 A17E