[Mailman-Users] Can I pay for Technical support? re: MailMan?

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Aug 13 18:38:38 CEST 2002

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 09:58:39 -0400
Support Desk <cprg at cprg.net> wrote:

> Anyone who thinks they can "host" from their basement, using DSL or
> Cable, is sadly misinformed...

Simply, you are mistaken.

> ... when for a couple dollars a week, they can obtain 100Mb or more,
> and run Mailman and a dozen other software packages, host their site,
> email, etc, and receive "support" from the hosting provider.

There are other advantages to having local hardware access to and
software control of the system.

> Compared to "paid" support from the big guys, which can be $25 or more
> "per incident" it's more reasonable than attempting a do it yourself
> project using a slow, unreliable connection.

One of my DSL accounts is 3Mps symmetric (actually a bonded pair of
1.5Mbps SDSL lines).  That's a fair bit larger than your average T1
(with only marginally higher latency to boot).  Downtime on that account
in the last calendar year has been ~20 minutes for known, predicted,
pre-announced maintenance cycles with no unpredicted unannounced down
periods.

> Anyone willing to pay for support, should get their full money's
> worth, and receive a reliable connection, bandwidth, space, software,
> etc.

None of which contradicts hosting your own services on a DSL connection.

Yes, there are many poorly run and maintained DSL services out there.
There are also well run, tightly controlled, high quality DSL services
out there.  Of course the latter (from the ISP side) almost never
coincide with the ILECs.

--
J C Lawrence