[Mailman-Users] Installing Mailman without root privileges?

Tom Whiting wolf at wolfstream.net
Thu Aug 8 06:26:57 CEST 2002

> Of course, this requires an enlightened ISP which can provide you with just
> enough rope not to hang yourself.

Or an ISP with no clue.
that's all well and good, until you run into the individuals that will abuse
that power and priviledge to do so, and corrupt quite a few things. I've seen
it done more than once, but that's beyond the point of the discussion.

In short:
You need ROOT access (generally) to modify things such as cgi aliases,
pointing directly to your list.

You need ROOT access to create the mailman user (though this CAN be done as
your  regular user I believe... It's just not a good idea).

You need ROOT access to create the aliases for mailman.

You need ROOT access to restart apache so that your cgi-bin aliases will work