[Mailman-Users] Digest Header modification ?

Bob Weissman rlw at rlw.best.vwh.net
Sat Aug 3 20:24:16 CEST 2002

At 02:40 PM 8/2/02, Dan Mick wrote:
>> Every digest starts with these lines:
>
>> And these are the lines I would like to replace with something else.
>> They do not appear anywhere in the UI. In fact, the only place where I
>> could find them is in /etc/mailman/masthead.txt
>> However, editing the text there will, I'm fairly sure, edit it for ALL
>> mailing lists, which is not what I want to do.
>
>Yes, that's where those lines appear, and the only place.
>You can edit a list-specific copy in 2.1, but in
>2.0.x they are global.

Use the source, Luke! The great benefit of open source software is that you can make it do whatever you want. (grep is your best friend when trying to figure out what to change, where.) In this case, all you have to do is

1. Create a new masthead for your list in the same directory as your existing masthead.txt. Call it my_masthead.txt, say.

2. Edit Handlers/ToDigest.py to check for your one specific list.

        if self.__mlist.real_name == 'my_list_name':
                masthead = Utils.maketext('my_masthead.txt', self.TemplateRefs())
        else:
                masthead = Utils.maketext('masthead.txt', self.TemplateRefs())

Sure, it's a hack. But who cares? If it offends you, there are obvious ways of making it more elegant.

- Bob