[Mailman-Users] Still want it faster :-)

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sat Apr 27 04:31:57 CEST 2002

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002 03:37:58 +0200
Danny Terweij <danny at terweij.nl> wrote:

> You are reffering to :

>        /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -ODeliveryMode=defer \
> -ODaemonPortOptions=Name=MSA,Port=NNNN,M=E,Addr=127.0.0.1 ?

That's one possible address, tho not one I'm fond of.

> And i use :

> DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect' # SMTP host and port, when
> DELIVERY_MODULE is 'SMTPDirect' SMTPHOST = '127.0.0.1' SMTPPORT = 25

> 127.0.0.1 is sendmail.  This is doing the DNS lookups?

Note that NNN above is not 25.

In the case that you are running against a reasonably default Sendmail
setup, yes, sendmail will be calling gethostbyname() and other
sillinesses during the SMTP transaction.  Do an strace to see.

> Can i just do SMTPHOST = '192.168.0.1' witch is another SMTP server at
> my LAN (windows 2000 server with Mailtraq )?  Is it then not using
> sendmail and DNS troubles at all?

1) Yes.

2) No, it won't use your local MTA at all.

3) That depends on the configuration of your other MTA (I don't know or
use Microsoft tools and so can't answer there).

> What are the actions to prevent it?  So this file must be in normal
> operation empty?

Get your mail system fast enough that deliveries are able to happen
before new instances of qrunner are spawned.

  Note: I run several multi-thousand subscriber lists and I have no lock
  contention.

--
J C Lawrence