[Mailman-Users] Ownership problems in admindb.py

ajit k jena ajit at cc.iitb.ac.in
Sat Apr 20 08:30:13 CEST 2002

Hi,

I have setup Mailman and have the following problems with it:

	I have a list called priv where only memebers are allowed
	to post.

	When a non-member posts to the list, it goes for admin
	approval.

	The administratior rejects the posting thru web interface.

	At this point the ownership of /var/lists/priv/configdb and
	/var/lists/priv/configdb.last changes. It changes from
	uid=mailman, gid=nofiles to uid=nobody, gid=nofiles. Also,
	the permission of the files become -rw-rw----

	This happens because apache is running with uid=nobody and
	gid=nofiles. I have configured mailman with uid=mailman and
	gid=nofiles.

	The refusal intimation from the admin never goes ou to the
	poster because the qrunner runs with uid=mailman and gid=nofiles
	and it has no read access to the files /var/lists/priv/configdb*.
	The moment I do "chmod a+r /var/lists/priv/configdb*" the queue
	is cleared and the refusal message reaches the external user.

Can anyone please help me out ? I can not run apache with any other
uid. I am thinking of patching the admindb.py to force the ownership to
uid=mailman and gis=nofiles. This I want to do as a last resort if I
dont find any responses.

Regards.

--ajit

| Ajit K. Jena              Phone : (Office) +91-22-5767751       |
| Computer Centre                            +91-22-5722545 x8750 |
| Indian Institute of Technology    (Home)   +91-22-5722545 x8068 |
|                                   (Mobile)                      |
| POWAI, Bombay                     Fax   :  +91-22-5723894       |
| PIN 400076, India                 Email :  ajit at cc.iitb.ac.in   |