[Mailman-Users] Yet another virtual domain question

Kimberly Sargen ksargen at trianinvestments.com
Thu Apr 18 20:06:31 CEST 2002

on 04/18/2002 9:00 AM, mailman-users-request at python.org at
mailman-users-request at python.org wrote:

> Subject: [Mailman-Users] Yet another virtual domain question
>
> I've been scouring the archives regarding Mailman and virtual domains, but
> can't get it to work. My setup: Mailman 2.0.7, postfix, Linux-Mandrake 8.1.
>
> What I did (following Jon Carnes instructions):
>
> Created new list
> Added aliases to /etc/postfix/aliases, ran newaliases
> Edited /etc/postfix/virtual to reflect:
> myvirtual.com virtual
> test at myvirtual.com test
> test-request at myvirtual.com test-request (and so on for the other aliases)
>
> Ran postmap /etc/postfix/virtual
> Stopped and started postfix.
>
> Went to Web admin, changed Host name this list prefers and Alias names
> (regexps).
>
> When I attempt to subscribe via the web I get the subscription message which
> comes from test-request at myvirtual.com, but when I reply to confirm, I get a
> postfix user not found error, and it says test-request at myrealdomain.com is the
> address that can't be found.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> TIA,
> Todd

Hmmmm... That's odd.

I can tell you what we wound up doing on our new server.  We tried for a
week to get it to work in a virtual domain - it just wouldn't work with our
server set up, so we wound up putting it on the root of the machine.  Now,
it's not truly set up as a virtual site, as it would have been under the
software on the machine, so you don't get the nice GUI and that for the back
end, but Mailman WORKS.  It sounds like you got much farther than we did.
Good luck sorting it out.  We couldn't find any info on our particular set
up running mailman, so we had to improvise and compromise.

8)
Kim