[Mailman-Users] Re: Removing those extra List-* headers

tneff at bigfoot.com tneff at bigfoot.com
Wed Apr 10 00:23:48 CEST 2002

Sorry, I missed this when it first appeared.

John W Baxter <jwblist at olympus.net> wrote:
> One can patch the installation, if one manages the Mailman installation
> and has or develops the skills.
>
> One can't, if one uses the Mailman installation managed as a service by
> someone else.  Suitable bribes to that person might help, though.  I think
> I remember the OP saying that he was in the using-a-service camp.

Right, if the ISP is offering Mailman as a 'canned' service *AND* you're
not allowed to install your own copy and use that instead, then you can't
install any patches.  The good news is that even if the Mailman authors
were to decide to make the List-* headers a per-list option in 2.1 (which
they won't), you'd probably have no luck convincing the ISP to upgrade
anyway.

Sometimes an ISP will offer Mailman as an installable software option via
checkbox on your web-based server configurator etc... but actually you
could install your own copy if you wanted to.  In that case, install it
yourself and patch away.

Personally, I wouldn't run Mailman somewhere I hadn't installed it.

Still on my todo list is a per-list config patch for the headers.