[Mailman-Users] Headers and why they suck

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon Apr 8 19:52:38 CEST 2002

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002 09:38:23 -0700 (PDT)
jebva  <David> wrote:

> I just think that the way they say that leaving the headers in is
> following standards and that there is no option to remove them is
> absurd especially when that is not wht he standards say.

RFC2369 states that they are optional.

Standards language is quite precise, and the definitional of "optional"
is equally precise.

Specifically in this case it means that mail systems are not mandated to
support the headers, that mail systems may choose to support or not to
support the headers while remaining conformant -- but what the standard
doesn't say is that a product must present the choice to support (or
not) RFC2369 headers externally.

Mailman chooses to implement the RFC2369 headers and in doing so it is
conformant with RFC2369.

Mailman chooses to not allow a (simple) way for the RFC2369 headers to
be disabled.  In doing so it remains conformant.

--
J C Lawrence