[Mailman-Users] Headers and why they suck

Dave Sherohman esper at sherohman.org
Mon Apr 8 18:59:51 CEST 2002

On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 10:24:56PM -0800, David wrote:
>      The debate goes on I know, but here is exactly why these excessive
> headers suck.  I want to set up a news list not a discussion list.  The
> only person who will be able to post is the list owner.  I don't need
> all the junk about how to post to the list on top of each mail since it
> is WRONG for the setup in question.

Taken from your message's headers:

OK, I'll give you that List-Post: isn't applicable to your list.  I'd
even go so far as to suggest that it should be suppressed by default
on any list which does not allow normal list members to post.

And I guess it might be a little silly to include subscription
instructions (the List-Subscribe: header) on messages that only get
sent to people who are already subscribed to the list.

List-Archive:, like List-Post:, seems like Mailman could determine
its applicability programmatically and disable it where it doesn't
apply (i.e., for non-archived lists).  This may already be done, but
I wouldn't know since I don't run any non-archived lists.

But List-Help:, List-Id:, and List-Unsubscribe: all seem like they
would be applicable to your list.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss