[Mailman-Users] "True" virtual domains [netaktiv.com #99]

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at netaktiv.com
Mon Apr 8 15:30:43 CEST 2002

We are an ISP and we have several clients requesting a mailing
list. Often, the names collide. No problems with email addresses, we
know how to configure Postfix to have info at company.com and
info at npo.org point to different mailboxes.

But I cannot do the same with Mailman. Mailing lists are apparently
unique, whatever the domain is. So, I must create info-company and
info-npo and set a different host_name for each list. Not a big deal
except that this name appears in messages sent and
info-company at company.com is not really elegant.

I tried changing real_name. As its documentation said, it is
discouraged and, indeed, it does not work (the original name still
appears in messages).