[Mailman-Users] Disaster Recovery - 2 Questions

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Sep 28 18:48:40 CEST 2001

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001 11:04:34 -0500
Jeffrey M Kenton <jkenton at iastate.edu> wrote:

> Maybe my questions are self-explanatory now, but here goes anyway:
> if the manager of a particular list loses the admin password for
> that list, how can I, as the site administrator, regenerate one?

You can use the site password to (re)set a specific list's admin
password via that list's admin page.

> And, when setting up Mailman there was a small amount of
> compilation work. To transfer the files from a backup onto another
> server, do I just need to transfer the entire file structure of
> the install location (i.e. /home/mailman) ?

Yes, with big caveats:

  -- Must be same architecture (eg x86)
       If not, recompile.
  -- Must have same hostname
       Need to reset list configs with with_list
  -- Must have same VHostname
       Need to reset list configs with with_list
  -- Must be installed in same filesystem location
       Need to reset list configs with with_list
  -- Must have (reasonably) same version of libC
       If not, recompile.
  -- Must have Python installed in same location
       Edit #! lines in Python scripts etc
  -- Must have same or later version of Python (Probably)
       Likely safe.

Barry:  Want to drop this in the FAQ?  Its a good (if not terribly
frequent) question.

--
J C Lawrence