[Mailman-Users] Duplicates

Dan Wilder dan at ssc.com
Wed Sep 26 20:29:27 CEST 2001

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 01:14:16PM -0500, spookyplaces at loosecanon.tv wrote:
> One of my mailing lists has evidently decided to start sending a certain
> message out got my group over and over again.   First time it did that I
> got about 86 copies of it.  One guy said he got around 100 and another gal
> said she got 80 of them.  I thought it would be marked as sent in the mail
> man Q but just today we all got the same message again about 80 copies of
> it.  If I don't get this resolved quick I'm going to be loosing my people.
>
> I don't know who to talk to or where to get help for this problem.  I don't
> know where the mailer thing keeps the messages on Q or how to remove them
> from Q out there.
>
> Can someone help me please ?
>
> Thanks
>
> ...Bryon

Take a careful look at the "Received" headers.  Is this really a
case of mailman sending the message out repeatedly, or is somebody
outside looping it back to the posting address, minus the loop prevention
headers?

Your MTA (postfix, sendmail, exim, mmdf, qmail, whatever) logs
may help.

 Dan Wilder <dan at ssc.com>   Technical Manager & Editor
 SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549   Phone:  206-782-8808
 Seattle, WA  98155-0549    URL http://embedded.linuxjournal.com/