[Mailman-Users] changing subject and from fields

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Sep 25 23:25:07 CEST 2001

On Tuesday 25 September 2001 16:00, Mark T. Valites wrote:
>     I was curious if there was a way to (in effect masq, or at least
> make a little less obvious) the fact that mail being sent to a user on
> a list was indeed being sent to a list.

It's Opensource, so the answer is always yes... but how much are willing
to work in order to bend it to your will.

> 1. I would like to change the: from "listname-request", to something
> more along the lines of: from "Our Department", or something similar...

The sender is not munged on ordinary messages to the list, so you can make
the sender be whomever you want it to seem to be.  I don't think it would
be easy to rid the email of other extraneous header parts - but who
the heck knows to look there?  Still feel free to plunge into the Python
code and expunge it (if that's your will)!

> 2.  Subject line.  Instead of telling them they are on a list, somthing
> along the lines of "Thanks for your interest in our group"...

You can make the Prefix to the subject be anything you like.  You can
make it the complete subject you want, and then leave the message you
send blank, or you can leave the Prefix blank, and just send the message
with whatever subject you want.

If you want to always over-ride the subject, then you'll have to dive
into the Python code.  That one though should be fairly easy to find and
modify.

Remember! Always use your powers for good...

Jon Carnes