[Mailman-Users] mailman lists

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Fri Sep 21 23:44:29 CEST 2001

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 11:48:03PM -0400, BarrytheJEW at aol.com wrote:
> Hello my name is Barry W.  Grubbs and I am very new to this.  Is it possible
> to have an open subscription to a mailing list, so you don't have to have a
> password to join?  What I want is for people to be able to subscribe to my

Yes, edit ~mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py, and add this:
# does this site allow completely unchecked subscriptions?
ALLOW_OPEN_SUBSCRIBE = 1

You should absolutely not use this feature for a machine on the internet.
Running open lists which allow any person to spam another one with unchecked
subscriptions will get your server blackholed.
However, for use on an intranet, that's fine.

Marc