[Mailman-Users] Not sending mail...

Amanda arandall at auntminnie.com
Tue Sep 11 20:20:36 CEST 2001

Hi Will,

I dunno if someone has answered your questions or not... As a further
disclaimer, I don't do sendmail for unixlike entities, and consider it
to be more closely related to voodoo than system administration ...
Having said that, I will toss out some random spaghetti and see if
anything sticks. :-)

Is your mailing list admin's email address local to the Mailman box,
or elsewhere?
And if it's remote... Are you able to remotely send and receive mail
to/from your mail accounts on that box? (for example, can you pop your
mail successfully?)
And if you don't have a pop server running, I'm betting if you
installed one, you might have the same problem, and you just might get
a message telling you "Relaying is not allowed" or some such bargle
in which case, you might want to look at the hosts.allow - or the
equivalent thereof on your system, depending on whether or not you're
using tcpd - and see what your settings are there. I had some rather
bizarre funkiness that made it silently accept "localhost" (its
installed default in my case) with no whining whatsoever, but would
not actually allow any mail via mailman or remote users, unless I
explicitly set it to 127.0.0.1. Which is precisely the opposite of
what it says in my trusty little book here, but hey, docs in the Linux
world so far have proved to be excellent doorstops and monitor
elevation devices... Anyway, that miraculously solved both the
problems with Mailman and the intermittent wackiness with my POP
server.

Your mileage may vary.... let me know if it helps you, though ...

=)
Amanda

Will Nordmeyer wrote:

> I think if I get THIS fixed, I JUST MIGHT have mailman up &
> running
So PLEASE
 if anyone can help
I would be soooo grateful

> I’m on my Cobalt RAQ3

> Sendmail V8.9.3.
>
> Mailman V2.0.6
>
> mm_wrapper is a link in the /usr/adm/sm.bin directory pointing over
> to /home/mailman/mail/wrapper
>
> When I send mail to mytest-admin, here’s what appears in the
> maillog

> Sep9 12:23:51 raq sendmail[19675]: MAA19675:
>
> from=admin, size=55, class=0, pri=30055, nrcpts=1,
>
> msgid=<200109091623.MAA19675 at raq.willspc.net>,
>
> relay=admin at localhost
>
> Sep9 12:23:52 raq sendmail[19677]: MAA19675:
>
> to="|mm_wrapper mailowner mytest",
>
> delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=prog, stat=Sent
>
> That seems to queue the message up
 then at the next minute, I get
> the following.I assume it is the translation message going from
> mailman’s mail processing routine forwarding it to the real list
> owner’s address
But it doesn’t work

> Sep9 12:24:01 raq sendmail[19703]: MAA19703:
>
> from=<NONE>,
>
> size=0, class=0, pri=0, nrcpts=0, proto=ESMTP, relay=localhost
> [127.0.0.1]
>
> I don’t understand what the problem is
The mail never gets delivered
> to where it is supposed to.What’s my stupid mistake
 I know it’s
> mine
 I admit it
 I just don’t know what it is