Archiver (was Re: [Mailman-Users] Attachments)

J C Lawrence claw at 2wire.com
Thu Sep 6 00:32:13 CEST 2001

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001 16:17:11 -0700 (PDT)
Dave Melton <dmelton at banzuke.com> wrote:

> I've got one list with a huge archive...over 30,000 messages.

<nod>

I have a little under 100,000 messages archived at Kanga.Nu, and
just over 700,000 archived on my system at home.

> I have been using HTDig, but I'd like to find something that needs
> less space for search index files.

MnoGoSearch used an SQL DB for its indexes rather than a custom DM
implementation.  The DB size is directly and significantly affected
by your configuration; minimum token length to index, use of
stopwords, use of sing/emulti/crc mode (or crc-multi etc), and so
forth.  Depending on your config the change in index size can easily
be more than an order of magnitude.

> Any thoughts on how mnoGoSearch compares, in terms of disk space
> and performance?

The best I can comment is that I need to do some postgresql tuning
on my installation, and that I haven't done it yet.

--
J C Lawrence