[Mailman-Users] Wrapper gid problem

Mitchell Marks mitchell at walrus.uchicago.edu
Wed Sep 5 23:26:26 CEST 2001

At 11:58 PM 9/4/01, J C Dill wrote:

>This is covered in the readme.
>
>There are also 202 posts in the archive of this list that discuss the
>"wanted gid" error:
  [...]

Indeed, it's a *V*FAQ.

But is there room here to revive the idea of making the error message a
little more self-explanatory?  Yes, I know it has the "(Reconfigure to take
___?)" question, which helps.  But I suggest that "wanted" and "got" are
less than ideal.

  I can't offer something equally terse, but at a little greater verbiage
how about something more like "configured to take gid ___" and "was run
under gid ___"?  Naturally these are just "wanted" and "got" in more words
but to my ear that sort of spelling it out does assist comprehension.

Other suggestions along this line?

Regards,

Mitch Marks

--
Mitchell Marks
CUIP Tech Coordinator    http://cuip.uchicago.edu

Telephone:  Ofc 773-702-6041
         Fax 702-8212
         Home (v.m. only, ok any time) 241-7166
Email: Primary address: mitch at cuip.uchicago.edu
         Alternate UofC addresses (use especially to report problems with
cuip.uchicago.edu): mitchell at cs.uchicago.edu and mmar at midway.uchicago.edu
         Off-campus (ISP) address: mmarks at corecomm.net

      I remember you well in the Chelsea Hotel
you were famous your heart was a legend
You told me again you preferred handsome men
but for me you would make an exception.
      And clenching your fist for the ones like us
who are oppressed by the figures of beauty
You fixed yourself you said never mind
we are ugly but we have the music.
(L. Cohen, "Chelsea Hotel #2", 1971)