[Mailman-Users] Long delay before delivering

Edwin Ringersma edwin at introweb.nl
Wed Oct 31 23:40:48 CET 2001

On 31 Oct 2001 at 10:12, J C Lawrence wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 16:43:28 +0100
> Edwin Ringersma <edwin at introweb.nl> wrote:
>
> > I'm experiencing long delays between actual delivery to mailman
> > wrapper and the delivery to the mailboxes of the subscribed users.
>
> How long?
Minutes. Can take 20 minutes.

> > Crontab is installed as suggested. so qrunner every minute,
> > gate_news every 5 minutes.
>
> First guesses are:
>
>   -- a poorly configured MTA (especially sendmail)
? it's sendmail, does the job.
>   -- a high percentage of bad/slow MXes
Seen this. Mail stays in the mailqueue. Not always the case.
>   -- no local cacheing nameserver and a very slow external nameserver
Not the problem

I've noticed qrunner hanging and using cpu-cycles. Killing it, and removing
lockfiles put the mails that where waiting through immediately (when qrunner was
called by crontab).
I guess qrunners hanging is the problem. What causes this I don't know.