[Mailman-Users] Sudden error

Greg Ward gward at mems-exchange.org
Tue Oct 30 21:43:29 CET 2001

On 30 October 2001, miket at scitechsoft.com said:
> My list server suddenly developed an error message that is all
> consuming.  I now have an error message that is 2gig in size.  This
> is only since the 18th of October, 01.
>
> I had found the error upon receiving the Cron Daemon message:
> **********
> Logging error: <StampedLogger to '/home/mailman/logs/error'>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Logging/Logger.py", line 74, in write
>     f.write(msg)
> IOError: [Errno 27] File too large
> Original log message:
> [Errno 27] File too large

Sounds like you have an out-of-control log file on a system with no
large file support.  (Or at least your Python doesn't have it; I think
the kernel, filesystem, libc, and Python all need to cooperate for files
> 2 GB to work.)

The problem is not that Mailman is crashing because of a humongous
log file; the problem is that you have a humongous log file in the first
place!  Take a look in ~mailman/logs -- it should be pretty obvious
which the 2 GB file is.  Take a look in it and see if you can figure out
why it got so big.

        Greg