[Mailman-Users] List state db is corrupt

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at InTechnology.co.uk
Mon Oct 29 12:06:30 CET 2001

[People may have noticed that the exim.org lists are currently down -
this is why]

I have a Mailman 2.0.6 install running with a current exim.  Nothing has
been changed since the Mailman upgrade a few weeks back.

However it appears that (possibly due to an expected system restart -
although the filesystems are journalled), one list has the config.db
file corrupted.   Worse, the backup config.db is also corrupt (but
different) - list operations give results like:-
	# bin/list_members exim-users
	No such list "exim-users"
	bad marshal data

I am working on getting stuff back from backup (aren't hosted systems
fun - you get to find out how much of the infrastructure really works).
however as a backstop approach, is there any better way of extracting
the data in the config.db (which looks mostly right) other than using
strings on it and extracting the bits manually (which should at least
give me the user list even if I need to manually edit a load).

And a further question, in the light of this I ought to dump the list
database (say) every 6 hours and keep a weeks back set of them.  I guess
I can script round the dumpdb command to do this - but how do I restore
that?

	Nigel.