[Mailman-Users] Shortening URLS

Greg Ward gward at mems-exchange.org
Fri Oct 26 14:31:29 CEST 2001

On 25 October 2001, Michael H Moran said:
> both the "listinfo" and <list name>  are pseudo elements, ie
> you can't cd to either one as they don't exist.
>
> I was trying simple apache Alias directives,  and symlinks both
> of which fail do to the fact that listinfo is not a file or directory.

Bingo.  Don't fall into the trap of thinking that URL-space always
traverses file-space.  That's a common, easy, and intuitive way to set
up a (static) web site.  But it's not the only way.

The Alias directive only works for mapping URLs to filenames; symlinks
only map filenames to filenames.

> Hadn't thought about rewrites...thanks, new avenue to explore.

mod_rewrite lets you map any URL on your site to any other URL (on your
site or not).  It's a great tool.

        Greg
Greg Ward - software developer                gward at mems-exchange.org