[Mailman-Users] Search Archive Feature?

Mark T. Valites valites at geneseo.edu
Thu Oct 25 21:16:52 CEST 2001

Richard, I got a good one for you...

Below in this email, you mentioned that you could get the patches to
work if they ran on a different machine that the one that the actual
archives lived on.  Unfortuneatly, I think I may have to go there...
 Htdig does not compile under gcc-3.0.X, and it is difficult to get
going under solaris 8 from what I have read and been replied to on the
htdig mailing list.

So, I have my ultra 5 desktop set up so that it exports the whole
mailman dir to a linux box at the far end of the room.  The linux box
has a successfull build of htdig, and another mailman test site(with
searchable archives working!).  I mounted the mailman export from the
ultra 5 into /mnt/ultra on the linux box.  From there, I added the stuff
to mm_cfg.py on the sun (/mnt/ultra/Mailman/mm_cfg.py on the linux box):

HTDIG_MAILMAN_DIR = 'htdig-ultra'
HTRUNDIG_PATH = '/usr/local/htdig/bin/rundig' # (on the linux box)
USE_HTDIG = 1,
after previously creating a symlink on the linux box from
/mnt/ultra/archives/htdig to /usr/local/htdig/conf/htdig-ultra (on the
linux box)

The main archives webpage on the sun picks up the patches, and displays
the search box, like it should.  However, after I enter a query, I get
an error saying:

requested URL /cgi-bin/htsearch was not found on the server.
I figure this comes from the fact htdig never was installed on the sun,
and that this was getting picked up from the linux box install of htdig.

In addition, the link that gets created from the nightly_htdig cron job
(I think it comes from there, I could very well be wrong) points to
 /home/mailman/archives/private/listname/htdig/listname.conf.  Problem
is, on the linux box, that directory is not correct, and it points to
the local mailman install.

To correct this, I think that link should instead point to
../private/listname/htdig/listname.conf

Granted, that will only take care of one of my problems.  (How)/can I
get the query to perform correctly on the sun machine with no htdig
installed? or did I read too much into what you said?

--
Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst