[Mailman-Users] despirate!!!!

Amanda arandall at auntminnie.com
Thu Oct 25 17:01:21 CEST 2001

Hi Jenny,

Jenny Mehlenbeck wrote:

> I managed to get all the settings right.  Auto responders,
> subscribe/unscribe all works fine.

Well, I'm not questioning your ability, but it sounds like at least one of the settings,
somewhere, for something, isn't right. :-) Happens to all of us, from time to time, so
don't stress too much over it; instead, let's jump right in and tackle the problem, eh?

> There are NO instructions.  At least not for average people to understand.

Average people are usually not system administrators... Linux documentation can be quite
frustrating, in fact I had a nice rant about that recently myself.

> I have the list titled, I subscribed my mailing address under that title,
> but when I "send to" that name, I am the only person to actually get a copy.

Okay, let's start at the very beginning... (a very good place to start)

What are your rights on the server? Do you have admin equivalent? If not, you're going to
have to wrangle some answers out of your administrators.
What type of server is this running on? (what operating system and distribution, what MTA
[mail server] and what version of it, what web server and what version of it, that'll be
a nice start)
What version of Mailman are you using?
What mail aliases do you have set for the list? To where were they added and what do they
look like? (This will depend on your MTA, and is a very important piece of the puzzle.)
What do your logs look like? Look at the server, MTA, and mailman logs; they all have a
different job to do and may report different error messages relating to different
functions.

This stuff falls into the category of "helpful information to supply to technical
support." While the folks here aren't really The Technical Support Department(tm), they
use the same kind of information to tackle technical difficulties. If you've checked in
every nook and cranny, you probably have this information already at your disposal. If
not, then... well, not everything has been checked, and one cannot assume that all the
settings are correct.

=)
Amanda