[Mailman-Users] Is there a limit

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Oct 16 03:06:54 CEST 2001

> Is there a limit how many names can be on a list.  Does it slow
> down if a list gets too big.
> This only happens trying to get to the admin page.  I can still get to
> the subscribe info.  It opens at /info not on /admin.
> I am experiencing a problem with only one of my lists.  It happens
> to be the largest list.  All of the other lists open fine and work
> correctly.
>
> Thank You
> MikeT

A fast processor, SCSI disk subsystem, and an optimized MTA like Postfix
can help out with large lists.  Folks have reported lists as high as
200,000 email addresses without problems.

You might want to check your lockfiles in ~mailman/locks
If there are files in there, then Mailman may think that some other process
is using the database, and is locking you out.  The name of the lock file
will contain the name of the mailing list and end in the process number
that has the lock.

Assuming you find a lock file keeping you out, you can find the process by
ps ax |grep process#  (at least in Linux)

If the process is non-existent, then delete the lock file.  If the process
is frozen, kill the process first, then remove the lock file.  If its still
running, then you've got to speed up your system!

Good Luck - Jon Carnes