[Mailman-Users] Changing a list name

Jon Carnes jonc at haht.com
Fri Oct 12 07:44:59 CEST 2001

> I'd like to change the name of a Mailman hosted
> mailing list.  The only way I see to do that is to delete
> it and start over, but I really don't want to do that.
>
> Is there a clean way to rename a mailing list?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
> --
> Mike Avery

You could just change the aliases and setup some links for the web aliasing,
that would be a workaround, but it wouldn't exactly be clean.

I would advocate creating the new list, and setting up its email aliases.
Instead of configuring the new list, use config_list -o to dump out the
configuration of the old list to file, then edit the data in that file to
reflect the name change and import the file into your new list using
config_list -i.
Next move the users over with the commands list_members (-r for regular, -d
for digest users) to dump out lists of the old members, and the command
add_members (-n for regular, -d for digest) to add members to the new list.

It's too bad the command dumpdb is not reversible, because then you could do
it in just a few steps,  dump out the contents of the old config file to a
temporary file, grep and change the old name to the new, the feed the file
back into the new mailman config.db.

Take care and good luck!

Jon Carnes