[Mailman-Users] mailman thinks accounts are invalid

Mark T. Valites valites at geneseo.edu
Thu Oct 11 16:14:42 CEST 2001

I have recently set up solaris 5.8 machine with mailman 2.0 to do some
testing for an older mailman system I use here.  Today I installed
sendmail -8.12.1 as my MTA.  I can send mail fine to listname-owner and
other aliases, but I am having problems sending mail to the list alias.
 I have a test list set up with myself as the only member.  After I send
mail to the list, I get errors in  ~mailman/logs/bounce in this format:

 Oct 11 09:52:01 2001    (4409) LISTNAME: testuser at testdomain - 3 more
allowed over 431450 secs,

where LISTNAME, testuser, and testdomain are all real values.  For the
first three time this happens, the number (3 in the example) decreases
until it hits zero.  The next message to the bounce file is:

Date....  (4413) LISTNAME: disabled username at domain - exceeded limits

I also get the following in ~mailman/logs/smtp:

Date....  (4409) All recipients refused:553, '5.1.3 <test-admin@>...
Hostname required', 'test-admin@')
Date....  (4409) smtp for 1 recips, completed in 0.084 seconds

And I have to go in through the web admin interface and enable mail back
to myself, since it gets checked to nomail.
I get no messages by way of syslog for mail, but I still have a feeling
the problem is with my MTA and not mailman.  553 is invalid mailbox
name.  Again, I can hit the mailboxes directly, but not through mailman.
 Syslog shows messages destined for the list being fed to the pipe
specified in /etc/mail/aliases.  What causes the above symptom, and any
ideas how can I fix it?