[Mailman-Users] Mailman using REDHAT Powertools RPM

Rich West Rich.West at divatv.com
Fri Oct 5 19:02:51 CEST 2001

The docs usually get stored in /usr/share/doc/mailman-<version>..

But, besides that, you really just have to know where the installation
is.. It should be installed in /var/mailman if you used the RPM, and the
directory tree is essentially the same from there on out.

I believe if you do a "rpm -qi mailman" there will be instructions as to
what to do next.  For example:
#> rpm -qi mailman
Name        : mailman                      Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 2.0.6                             Vendor: (none)
Release     : 1                             Build Date: Fri 31 Aug 2001
03:06:19 PM EDT
Install date: Fri 31 Aug 2001 03:06:42 PM EDT      Build Host: lobe
Group       : Applications/Internet         Source RPM:
mailman-2.0.6-1.src.rpm
Size        : 2123729                          License: GPL
URL         : http://www.list.org/
Summary     : Mailing list manager with built in web access.
Description :
Mailman is software to help manage email discussion lists, much like
Majordomo and Smartmail. Unlike most similar products, Mailman gives
each mailing list a web page, and allows users to subscribe,
unsubscribe, etc. over the web. Even the list manager can administer
his or her list entirely from the web. Mailman also integrates most
things people want to do with mailing lists, including archiving, mail
<-> news gateways, and so on.

When the package has finished installing, you will need to:

* Run /var/mailman/bin/mmsitepass
  to set the mailman administrator password.
* Edit /var/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py
  to customize mailman's configuration for your site.
* Modify the sendmail configuration to ensure that it is running and
  accepting connections from the outside world (to ensure that it runs,
  set "DAEMON=yes" in /etc/sysconfig/sendmail, ensuring that it accepts
  connections from the outside world may require modifying
  /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and regenerating sendmail.cf), and
* Add these lines:
  ScriptAlias /mailman/ /var/mailman/cgi-bin/
  Alias /pipermail/ /var/mailman/archives/public/
  <Directory /var/mailman/archives>
    Options +FollowSymlinks
  </Directory>
  to /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf to configure your web server.

Users upgrading from previous releases of this package may need to
move their data or adjust the configuration files to point to the
locations where their data is.

Richard West				mailto:richard.west at divatv.com
Sr. Systems Administrator
Diva - Princeton, NJ			http://www.divatv.com