[Mailman-Users] Why https only works from remote hosts ?

Greg Ward gward at mems-exchange.org
Mon Oct 1 21:20:26 CEST 2001

On 01 October 2001, Oliver Egginger said:
> Hello,
>
> from remote hosts everything works fine.
>
> I'am using mailman 2.0.6 (with Apache 1.3.20 and OpenSSL 0.9.6b in the back).
> List subsciption (and so on) works very well (remote and local),
> but when I visit the list-owner admin page (via https) from my local machine
> ( https://<my_host>/mailman/admin/test ),
> I receive this error message by trying to send the passwort:
> Bad Request Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
>
> Reason: You're speaking plain HTTP to an SSL-enabled server port.
> Instead use the HTTPS scheme to access this URL, please.

That's strange.  What web browser are you using?  And are you accessing
your local host using a name that resolves to the loopback interface
(127.0.0.1) or to your machine's "real" IP address?  It might be that
accessing the web server on different network interfaces is the problem;
if you're not sure which interface a particular name corresponds to, try
using the IP addresses directly -- eg.
    http://127.0.0.1/mailman/admin/test
or  http://a.b.c.d/mailman/admin/test

where a.b.c.d is your machine's "real" (externally visible) IP address.
Just a wild guess.  I'd be more inclined to blame your web browser.

Also, what web server are you using?

        Greg