[Mailman-Users] Scaling Mailman

Amanda arandall at auntminnie.com
Mon Oct 1 19:20:50 CEST 2001

Hi,

qmail is PDQ as well - when we run the newsletter, we queue up 30,000
messages at once in a matter of minutes; after fifteen minutes the queue
is down to a few hundred, and the vast majority of those are international
and/or busted receiving hosts that are failing connect on the first try
(and second, and sometimes third...)

I'm elated by the whole thing ... we started out with qmail and Mailman,
and started paring out components of MM we didn't need, and writing in
stuff we didn't have, and the end result looks very little like what we
started out with ... but in essence, the send process is down to
thirty-odd lines of script, running on a workstation machine that's 1/4 as
fast with 1/10 the memory and 1/20 the disk space, and it runs twice as
fast as (and way, WAY more reliable than) our previous, expensive,
CPU-intensive, crash-twice-a-day Windoze app on our massive Dell server.
(Ye gods, what I'd give to see *this* thing running on *that* server.)

Anyway, suffice it to say, qmail will kick some serious behind. :-)

=)
Amanda