[Mailman-Users] Backing up Mailman list installations

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Nov 29 16:35:25 CET 2001

Feel free to create such a script.  It should be fairly easy - if tedious
to do:

../bin/config_list will easily dump out the entire list configuration in
text format, and it will also easily dump it right back into a list...

../bin/list_members will let you dump out the user lists into groups that
recieve regular or digest mail

../bin/add_members will let you add users to a list and select whether they
are "digest" or "regular" mail users.

And that gives you everything but the Membership options for each
individual user: hide, nomail, ack, and notmetoo

../bin/dumpdb will let you dump out everything!  This lets you dump out the
config of the list plus all the users and their options.  The options are
in the section:
  'user_options': {   'email address': option_binary,
                 'email address': option_binary,
                 'email address': option_binary,
The email address is followed by a number that corresponds to the options
for the user:

  1  = nomail (+digest)
  2  = notmetoo (+digest)
  4  = ack (+digest)
  8  = plain
 16  = hide (+digest)
 ====
  9  = nomail + plain
  12 = ack + plain
  24 = hide + plain
  27 = hide + nomail + notmetoo + plain

Using this, you can record the users individual options.

Now here is the *hard* part (okay so it's not that easy...). The only way
to get the options back into a database (using available tools) seems to be
via the ../bin/withlist command.  I'll leave this to someone with more time
to figure it out...

Jon