[Mailman-Users] Backup script...

Phydeaux reb at taco.com
Tue Nov 27 17:08:21 CET 2001

At 10:38 AM 11/27/2001 -0500, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
>     P> Next, is there anything markedly different with v2.1 that would
>     P> make this unworkable, unwise, or unnecessary?
>
>MM2.1 should have largely the same issues, except it'll have a long
>running daemon instead of cron-invoked qrunners, so at least that part
>will be easier to suspend during the backups.  And by default, MM2.1
>installs in /usr/local/mailman instead of /home/mailman.
>
>I wonder if it's worth putting blockers into MM2.1 to stop the cgi
>from mucking with config.pck (renamed from config.db)?  OTOH, it isn't
>Mailman's job to stop the MTA and that still should be done.

But -- once the message has gone to the MTA Mailman is done with it,!

A  method to easily stop Mailman from processing things for a time
is what I'm really looking for. I don't mind backing up everything I
just want to ensure that I do not get an inconsistent set of files by
doing so while the set of files is being written to. Having to stop
qrunner, sendmail and my web server seems a bit extreme.

Anything that can be done to stop qrunner and to not have to stop the
.cgi interface of the web server (ie a backup lock for Mailman) would
be great.

reb